Often both parents of a child with CMMRD have Lynch sydrome themselves. Their children will have an up to 25% chance of getting CMMRD and a 50% chance of getting the Lynch syndrome. Therefore there remains a 25% chance that the child will have neither of those.
Ask your clinical geneticist for more information.
As soon as it is known which mistakes cause CMMRD it will be possible to do some prenatal diagnostics per an amniotic fluid test. Another option is (PGD) to apply genetic diagnostics before fertilization so that afterwards the insemination happens during IVF-treatment.
PGD is an abbreviation for Pre-Implantation Genetic Diagnosis. This method is used to prevent the birth of children suffering severe genetic disorder. PGD is performed on couples who have a strongly increased risk on having a child with a genetic disorder.
To execute PGD an IVF-treatment is necessary. Hereby one cell is being taken from an embryo that is 3 days old This cell will be tested for the concerning disease in a lab. Based on this test a decision will be made on which embryo is to be placed in the uterus. Only the embryo’s without the genetic disorders tested for are to be placed inside the uterus. The chance of pregnancy after placement lies at about 25%.